Best Way to Get Rid of Leaves
Leaves falling from the trees is a natural process that happens frequently and more during autumn. However, for some people, this can be quite a chore.
For a variety of reasons, there are always falling leaves that would block your compound entrance, road, or garden. You don’t want this to happen, as blocked entrances and roads could potentially be dangerous.
In this guide, we will discuss the best way to get rid of leaves and make this process as easy as possible for you. Keep reading for our top tips.
Why do leaves fall from trees?
Leaves fall from trees as a natural process that helps to recycle nutrients back into the soil. The leaves will eventually decompose and return those nutrients to the ground, which will help new leaves to grow in their place.
Falling leaves can also be due to strong winds, severe weather conditions, or pests and diseases affecting the tree.
The leaves are very organic which means they decompose quickly, but you should also try to not allow leaves from falling on your lawn as this could possibly leave dead spots and discolour your grass.
Why should you get rid of leaves?
Leaves can be a nuisance for many reasons. Not only do they block entrances and roads, but they can also:
- Cause accidents if left on the ground.
- Create slippery surfaces when wet.
- Harbour pests and diseases like ticks and chiggers make for an unpleasant yard experience for people and pets alike.
- Clog up lawnmower blades and result in the lawnmower blowing grass all over your house while you’re trying to mow it.
- Be unsightly if you’re trying to sell your home or if you just want a nice-looking yard.
Benefits of getting rid of leaves
When you don’t get rid of leaves, they will pile up and create an untidy environment. This can attract pests and rodents, which you definitely don’t want in your home or compound.
If you don’t remove the leaves on a regular basis, it can cause stress to the tree. The excess weight of the leaves can also damage the branches and make the tree more susceptible to diseases.
How to get rid of leaves
There are various ways that you can get rid of leaves, depending on what is most convenient for you but we will discuss some of the most popular methods below:
This is the most common approach to getting rid of leaves. It’s typically considered the easiest way since it just requires a rake and some manpower. It’s also pretty easy on equipment since it doesn’t wear out any machines besides a rake as long as you don’t overdo it with the raking (which can lead to back strain).
Some people also like to jump in the leaves they’ve raked up or use them in other fun crafts; this is much easier to do when the leaves are dry.
Ideally, you should rake leaves from your lawn as soon as they begin to fall so they don’t pile up too much. You should also rake every few weeks throughout the fall season.
Use a leaf rake with long tines that can reach down into the grass and pull up piles of leaves with just one pass over the lawn. Since lawns are usually uneven, avoid rakes with long handles that can catch on tree limbs or uneven ground; these rakes are hard to control and may cause you to scrape or injure yourself on the handle.
If you have back problems or don’t want to spend hours bending over, invest in an adjustable-handled leaf rake that has a pivoting head that allows you to change the angle of the handle.
A leaf blower can be a great way to get rid of leaves in your yard. It’s generally easier than raking, and can make quick work of a large area. There are multiple types of leaf blowers, but the most common are handheld and backpack models. Backpack models may be more powerful and easier to use for larger areas.
A leaf blower will quickly move all the leaves away so that you can easily dispose of them. It might be an effective way of getting rid of leaves quickly, but it is also very tiring since you will have to bend down the whole time to pick them up individually. You can avoid this by hiring gardeners to do the work for you, but if it is just one or two trees, this wouldn’t be cost-effective for you.
Mulching is a great way to get rid of leaves if you have a lot of them and don’t want to deal with the hassle of bagging them up or taking them to the dump. You can either buy a mulcher or rent one from a hardware store.
Another plus side to mulching is that it actually helps your lawn since you’re essentially just grinding up the leaves and putting them back into the ground as nutrient-rich compost. Just be sure not to overdo it since too much mulch can harm your lawn by smothering it.
This method takes a little more time and effort than raking or mulching, but it’s still a pretty easy way to get rid of leaves. All you need are some lawn and leaf bags (you can usually find these at the hardware store) and a little muscle to lift them and carry them to the curb.
You can also take bags of leaves to the dump, but this might be more work than it’s worth depending on how far away it is.
This method takes a little longer than some of the others, but it’s worth it if you have the time and patience. All you need to do is spread the leaves out in a single layer on a tarp or something similar and let them sit in the sun until they’re completely dry.
Once they’re dry, you can either rake them up or just wait for them to blow away. This method is great because it doesn’t require any extra equipment or effort on your part once the leaves are dry.
If you have more leaves to remove, using a shovel or rake is the best way to go. A shovel is another great way to get rid of leaves. It’s a good idea to wait until the leaves have dried out before trying to shovel them. This will make it easier for you to get rid of them and also prevent the leaves from sticking to the shovel.
You can also get rid of leaves by using a vacuum cleaner. Make sure to use the crevice tool to get into all the tight spaces and corners. Be sure to empty the bag or canister when you’re finished so that the leaves don’t end up clogging up the machine.
Here is a guide on how to get rid of leaves using a vacuum cleaner:
- Start by raking up all of the leaves in your yard and piling them into one spot.
- Plug in your vacuum cleaner and turn it on to the highest setting.
- Hold the vacuum hose over the pile of leaves and start sucking them up!
- Continue until all of the leaves are gone.
- Turn off the vacuum cleaner and unplug it.
- Empty out the leaf bag and dispose of the leaves properly.
Another way to get rid of leaves is by using a broom. This method works best on small areas or if you only have a few leaves to deal with.
Start by sweeping up all the leaves into one pile, then use the bristles of the broom to push the leaves into a pile.
If there are any large leaves, you can use the broom to chop them up into smaller pieces.
Burning leaves is actually illegal in many places due to the pollution it causes, so make sure to check your local laws before doing this.
If burning is allowed in your area, it’s a great way to get rid of leaves quickly since all you need is a fire pit or burn barrel and some matches. Just be sure to stay safe and supervise the fire at all times.
You can also hire a company to rake your leaves.
Tips for effectively getting rid of leaves
Here are some leaf-ridding tips you can use:
- Leaves can be a pain to rake. They get stuck in bushes, they blowback on the lawn after you’ve raked them up, and they can make your yard look messy if left alone. Luckily, there are ways to get rid of leaves that don’t involve spending hours outside with a rake. Put on a jacket and hat, grab a broom and head outside for a quick sweep. The wind will take care of the rest.
- If you have lots of leaves in your yard and no desire to sweep them up, try using a leaf blower. Leaf blowers come in all shapes and sizes and can save you time when raking leaves. Make sure to wear safety goggles when using one.
- You can also create leaf art by gathering leaves into piles or mounds. You can use fallen branches or sticks to create an outline for the shape you want your leaf art to be — like an animal or person. If you’re feeling extra creative, paint the leaves different colors before arranging them into a design.
- Leaves can also be used as natural mulch for your garden. Spread a layer of leaves around your plants to help keep the weeds down and the moisture in. Just make sure the leaves are dry so they don’t attract mold or mildew.
There are various effective ways to get rid of leaves, depending on your needs and what’s available to you. Try a few methods and see which one works best for you. And most importantly, have fun with it.
Get the family involved and make leaf art or turn them into mulch. The possibilities are endless.